Want New Insight into A Young Buyer's Mind?
This morning, while eating breakfast, I watched A&E's Sell this House. Nothing highly unusual about this on a Saturday morning before heading out to showings later in the morning, but what was unusual is that one of my children watched it with my wife and me for the first time. It was amusing to hear the perspective of a 23-year old who is hoping to be in the market for a house in the next year or two:
1. It doesn't look any better than it did before they staged!!
2. What is the deal with the candles? What are they trying to cover up?
3. I would never buy a house with wallpaper--it is just too much work!
4. How much does it cost to paint have a room painted? How about remove wallpaper?
5. How about using some common sense? That house should be clean! They would REALLY leave dirty dishes in the sink and a disgustingly dirty stovetop like that?
I hear my first time buyer clients make comments like this all the time, but I found it interesting that a youngster who grew up in a family that transferred many times, redecorated or renovated homes that they purchased, and who heard about many of the homes that I have shown over the past 10 years would have the same feeling as most of my first time homebuyers--they want to move in and live, not work!